Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A month without plastic?

Chris Jeavans a BBC journalist will try to live the entire month of August without bringing any more plastic in her house.
You can read the article here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7508321.stm
And follow her progress on her blog
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/monthwithoutplastic/2008/08/goodbye_plastic.html

Whitout reaching those extreme I would be happy to stop the use of plastic bags and recycle as much plastic as we can.

I'm recycling any plastic #1 or #2. Unfortunately our local recycling service do not recycle plastic #3 to #7 as it does not have buyers for those type of plastics yet. If you do not know which plastic is the container you want to put in the garbage, just look for a triangle with a number inside. They usually are at the bottom of the containers and the number inside goes from 1 to 7.

I'm also using reusable bags to bring around any purchuase I make. The bags I use are made in USA and they are made of recycled cotton and recycled plastic bottles. I have beed using them for more than a year now and they are just great. I became so diligent in using them that now I need to buy plastic bags for my garbage.
So I started looking for an eco-friendly garbage bag, as paper bags are not a good alternative either unless made from 100% recycled postconsumer paper.
I might have found one brand that do not use petroleum substances or food sources. I will give it a try and I'll let you know.

In any case the more I recycle the less regular garbage I produce, so since I started to recycle, the number of my garbage bags decreased.

And don't forget to buy products made from recycled material!

No comments: